Thursday, October 9, 2008

Heirloom of the Week

On to a new regular feature - Family Heirloom of the Week.

Let's start with one of the more weird in my collection of heirlooms and that is saying a lot. I have quite a few odd items in my family archives.

This heirloom is affectionately known as the Ghost Rock. It has been around as long as I can remember and when I was a child, its facial characteristics freaked me out a bit. It currently resides on a table in my family room and it occurred to me the other day that I wasn't sure where we had acquired it.

When I asked Mother, she immediately replied that my grandparents had plowed it up in the peanut field, but could not remember when. She said we had taken possession of it sometime during the Smiley years and told a story about it having been a mouse condo at one point. The "eyes" were a convenient entry and exit point for the small critters into the hollow interior.

The question remains whether this rock is a natural formation or if it was fashioned by human intervention. Was it used by an Indian medicine man, perhaps? Or did it just quietly form deep in the earth and coincidentally take on the appearance of a face over the years?

This is the kind of heirloom that is hard to categorize. I have two additional rocks with family significance, but they live outside due to their size. It's a little hard to come up with the proper archival methods for preservation of these examples of family history.

But as long as I'm around, they will be honored parts of my home.

LSW

No comments: