Thursday, December 4, 2008

Heritage Photo of the Week

Beside the road on Highway 21, just south of the intersection with FM812, this stately tree stood just across from the gate that led down to the house where my great-grandparents, Burl and Nettie Mason raised their family. I'm not sure the tree is still standing because a few years back a new overpass was added to reduce the danger of that particular intersection. The landscape was changed enough that I'm not sure the tree survived the construction.

This is the tree where my great-grandfather Burl Mason was found hanging on August 20, 1925. For years afterward it was possible to see the scars where his spurs had scraped against the tree as he hung there.

The official verdict was death by suicide. Perhaps. His daughter and widow did not believe that and always suspected he had been murdered. There was at least one and possibly two motives for murder that should have been explored. Perhaps they were and no evidence was uncovered. I have yet to locate the record of the inquest, but I hope to find it someday and see what kind of investigation took place.

I wish the tree could talk. It knew the truth.

LSW

4 comments:

RMG said...

Mom has that old picture of him on her living room wall. I wonder what really happened. I've heard one theory involving a couple of cowboys he had run off...

LSW said...

I know another theory that I will share, but not online. Ask me next time you see me.

RMG said...

Yep, probably some colorful family history behind the truth.

RMG said...

I reckon I can wait that long... ;)