Monday, January 5, 2009

Heirloom of the Week

I bet by this time you are wondering if my house is just a pile of assorted historical clutter.

Yes, it is. I like it that way. It's a sickness. I don't want to be cured.

Another Mason heirloom takes center stage this week. These leather leg protectors belonged to great-grandfather Burl Wilkes Mason.

I bet they saw a lot of action while he went about his work as foreman of the Trigg Ranch. At one time my grandmother also had his chaps, but those hung in the old barn and eventually either disintegrated or were disposed of when the barn was torn down.

I have in mind one of these days to turn my guest room into a showcase for the pieces that have come into my possession and that not only remind me of my ancestors, but also of the history of Texas.

LSW

1 comment:

LG said...

I can see those old chaps hanging on a nail in the barn! Sure wish we had tried to preserve them. They were worn by a "real" cowboy!