Friday, January 30, 2009

Heritage Photo of the Week

This was a cold week in Central Texas. Just north of us folks experienced ice and snow, but we were spared any of the nasty weather. We aren't in the clear yet - I've seen snow and ice the first part of February - but it looks like there's a good chance the school kids won't have to make up any ice days this year.

I think this picture must have been my first experience with snow. It was taken in the side yard of the old Manchaca Baptist Church about 1956-57. I was somewhere between 2 and 3 years old when Daddy and I posed in the snow. I don't believe this old church building is still standing. At the time we lived in Manchaca, it was several miles from Austin and was a small rural community. Manchaca has since been swallowed up by Austin and the Baptist Church has a grown into a large congregation.

I had no way of knowing that the strange, cold, fluffy white stuff would be something I would experience only a few times in my life.

LSW

1 comment:

Brenda Joyce Jerome, CG said...

Cindy, I am really enjoying your blog - so much so that I have given you an award from my blog. Go to Rambling Thoughts to read about the award.
http://brendasopinions.blogspot.com/