Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Centennial Memorial

Much was made today of it being the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birthday.

It suddenly occurred to me that there was a 100th anniversary to remember and that means much more to me.

Tomorrow, February 13th, marks 100 years since my grandfather was born.

Horace Hodge in his prime

To my mind he was just as fine a man as Lincoln. He was self-educated for the most part, just like Lincoln. He was honest to a fault, just like Lincoln.

He was a good father.

The Horace Hodge family, 1954

He worked long, hard hours in the fields, raising wonderful watermelons and peanuts. In my earliest years, I would see him mostly at meal times. This picture of him at the supper table represents my memories of him then.

In his later years, he was plagued by health problems and was usually in his chair reading, but always generous with a smile and full of gentle teasing of his citified granddaughter.

Horace Greeley Hodge
February 13, 1909 - April 25, 1981
One of the finest men it has ever been my privilege to know.


LSW

No comments: