Tuesday, February 17, 2009

February 22, 1953

This Sunday will mark the 56th anniversary of the date of my parents' marriage. They were two young people with very little money and they came from families who had very little money, so there was no 3-ring circus of a wedding like the bridezillas of today insist is their right. It was a modest ceremony in a small mission church in far north Austin where a preacher friend of my father's united them in marriage. I have two photos from that day. The first shows the happy couple.

Buddy & Nettie

The second shows the best man and the maid of honor.


Emmitte & Ruth Nell

No professional photographer attended to ensure there were pictures of the bride and groom with their parents. I feel lucky that someone took these two snapshots that day, or there would be no photographic record at all.

For years Mother's wedding dress, white with navy piping, hung in the closet. I don't think I ever tried it on, though I played dress up in the other dresses she kept in the dim recesses of her closet. I don't know when she disposed of it, but I guess she got tired of moving it from parsonage to parsonage and donated it to some clothing drive. The only heirlooms I have from that day are their wedding rings and the memory book with the registry of guests.

The wedding register is practically a family census. Aunts and cousins, brothers and sisters, old family friends and church friends.


About 14 months later, I came along.

LSW

No comments: